Tuesday, June 10, 2008

When the going gets tough, the tough knit complicated cable charts and fair isle

I found that when things get a little hairy around here I like to get a really complicated project to keep my mind off of things. I usually go to fair isle when I get stressed but cables and charts also get the job done. Between planning a big party, graduating, and being rejected from a university I should have gotten into right away I was lucky to be stringing together coherent sentences. I had been in a knitting slump where nothing felt 'right' but these mittens changed everything.




Chevalier Mittens





Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worstred in Pink


Time to complete: The first mitten took a little more than a day, the second took a little longer.


Mods: I mirrored the cables and I mixed up on the thumb so I just did it again and now it's a mod. I did the thumb increases every other row twice, every three rows twice, and then every two row twice and started the gussest one row later.


Thoughts: Wow. The cables are insane but the second time through was much easier. I really liked the pattern and there were no mistakes, just a travelling cable coming out of no where. This was a fabulous pattern paired with a fabulous yarn (but seeing as it's a single, I don't know how they're going to last!) yeilding fabulous results. Go and knit your own pair, now!


Another debut, well worth the wait: The sunrise circle jacket


Sunrise Circle Jacket


Pattern: Sunrise Circle Jacket By Kate Gilbert

Yarn: 6 Hanks of Cascade 220

Time to Complete: A little more than one month

Modifications: I knit the sleeves in the round and I added a picot edge

Thoughts: Perfect pattern. No mistakes. It fit and it looks great. I might do another. I gave it to my mom for her birthday and she loves it.
So what's up next? Well I'm almost done with a Dale hat and I want to knit some socks as thank you's. I really want to be selfish this summer and knit sweaters and socks and mittens and cowls for ME but I think I need to catch up on last year's christmas gifts and get started on this year's. BUT this is My hobby and it will be fun. Also coming soon a project I affectionately call the dumb fish.

No comments: