Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Socks: 365

On flickr a lot of people are doing the self portrait 365 project where they take daily self portraits of themselves. I really want to participate, but I don't know if I can commit to it because: 1) I am a terrible photographer. 2) I'd have to get flickr pro... I want to but I don't know if I can justify it. 3) The cameras at my disposal suck. They're good for what I do but... yeah. So I came up with an idea, the 365 sock project. The idea is to knit a pair of socks, one row for every day of the year. This I think I can do. I've been thinking of a few rules so here are a few preliminary things

1. The cast on and row one is day one, row 365 and the toe of the second sock is day 365.
2. Cast ons, heels, and toes don't count as rows, they should just be done with the corresponding row for that day.
3. The socks should either be in stockinette stitch or ribbing except for the ribbing at the cuff.
4. Both socks should have 365 rows together. That means 182 rows on one sock and 183 rows on another, excluding the toes and heels. If you're OCD about it I guess both could have 183 rows, the extra being for luck
5. You WILL only knit one row a day except when you reach the heel and toe of the sock. If you miss a day you can make it up by knitting the missed rows on another day, but missing a day is not encouraged.
6. The 365 socks are meant to make you sit down for about 5-10 minutes a day, add another row onto your socks, and to think about the day. It's supposed to make the passing of time a little more tangible.
7. Pick your yarn according to how you want your year to turn out. Cooler colors for a peaceful year, warmer tones for a happy, passionate year, self striping for a year of change, pick a color that has special symbolism with you. Use needles you like and are willing to have in use for the year.

Well, those are the preliminaries. I'm thinking of a ravelry group, maybe a flickr group (for progress and finished socks) but it's just an idea I'm toying with. Thoughts?

No comments: